Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Nightmare Before Christmas Mayor of Halloweentown Ear Hat


As you may have seen in previous posts, I like making my own ear hats. This is one of my favorites: The Mayor of Halloweentown. I made this one in October for our inaugural trip to Disney World. One guy literally chased me down and tried to buy it right off my head!!! Of course I said no, but I was glad so many people liked it! 


Front

Back
And I couldn't resist taking a few silly pictures in the hat...



The basic materials for this are paint, felt, needle and thread, black construction paper, and crepe paper for the mayor ribbon. I had planned on using real ribbon, but discovered I didn't have the right size orange ribbon. I panicked for a second that I wouldn't get it done, but noticed I did have crepe paper party streamers... It worked out perfectly. 

Do the ear paint first, let dry, then seal with clear gloss spray. Cut the felt embellishments, then sew them down.Sew in details or use a sharpie marker to give depth to the design. Add the tall hat made from heavyweight paper and glue it down. I used clips to keep it closed until the glue dried.

This was actually a lot easier to make than I thought, and it is my new favorite any time of year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment